Not logged in? Join one of the largest Car Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Why does my car start to run rough and quit after warmed up and driven awhile?

Oldsmobile Car Discussion

Postby layton » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I have a 1989 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme, 2.8 V6 Manual Trans. I changed the Throttle Position sensor, crank sensor, coil packs and the base they bolt to, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, alternator. The codes are reading various things high or low voltage mostly high. The car usually runs great when i start it up but after i drive it for about 10 minutes it starts to Miss and cut in and out. sounds like it's running on 3-4 cylinders, quits at stops and either clears out or quits and won't even fire. I wait about 10-15minutes and it will fire up like nothing happened. than usually the same thing 8-12 minutes later. Some thought it was a bad ground. others thought i mite need a new computer. this car does not take a mass air flow sensor. at least that's what i was told i can't find one and the computers at the parts places don't call for one. Please help. Could it be a relay is there an Ignition relay? I couldn't find a lot of answers in my Chilton's manual. Thanks for any help.
layton

Postby fionan » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:55 pm

try this. Drop down the computer and let the car run for about 15 mins and then give the ecm a sharp slap and see if it causes the engine to stumble miss or die. If it misses a beat, then there is a bad circuit in there.
fionan

Return to Oldsmobile