Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Saturn SL-1 Wheel Humming?

Saturn Car Discussion

Postby bardric » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:29 am

I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 4-dr with a bad hum in the driver's side front wheel when turning left. Hum is still there while going straight (not quite as loud) but is not noticeable at all when turning right. I changed the wheel bearing and it came out in pieces. Also put on a new hub and new wheel bearing, yet still have the bad hum...changing the bearing did nothing. While vehicle was on jack stands I ran the car and turned the steering wheel with no noise. Drive axle seems ok (no wiggle, no clunking, etc.). I'm at a loss as to what could be going on-- rotating tires did nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
bardric

Postby chavivi20 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:42 am

If it was a press-in bearing you easily could have damaged it when changing it out. It's really easy to destroy a bearing in a press if you aren't very careful and don't have tons of experience. Also, too much or too little torque on the axle shaft nut could cause the new bearing to whine. There's also the chance that you simply changed the wrong bearing. Wheel bearings can be very tricky, and sometimes sound like they are coming from a different wheel then they really are. Even experienced pros change the wrong one from time to time ... never hurts any less though.
chavivi20

Return to Saturn