Information :

01 mercury Cougar V6

New fuel pump and assembly

New fuel filter

New wiring connections to the fuel pump

Just passed smog very easy

Car sits for a week then I drive it for 500 miles in a weekend

Problem :

Very random the car won't start or dies out. Other than that it runs perfect. I have taken it to ford and other mechanics and they keep just throwing parts at it. They have had my car for weeks.
What do you think might be the problem so I can tell them to test. Remember it looses fuel pressure when the problem occurs.
Felix

Random No Fuel Pressure?

Postby Gobrwy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 pm

I have to wonder how you know it loses fuel pressure. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on your dash. Or do you have a gauge hooked up to the fuel rail to know that this is what is happening?

My advice is to keep trying to find a mechanic.
Gobrwy

Random No Fuel Pressure?

Postby Llassar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 pm

unless you have been testing fuel pressure at the point that it does, you cannot condemn it for that reason alone. other issues can exist. if the air temp outside, then vapor lock is a potential. id find another shop to go to. one that will solve the problem with out draining your bank account. i live on a budget and i do what i can to keep things as chap as possible.
Llassar

Random No Fuel Pressure?

Postby RobRoy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 am

Addition info for some of the people that answered. It also has new spark plugs, coil pack, spark plug wires, battery. I know it's fuel pressure because yes the mechanics hook stuff up to it and drive it and know that it loses fuel pressure. They just don't know what's causing it. I appreciate the answers but just know it's fuel pressure related and I want to know things that can cause low fuel pressure that do not work randomly and would fit my symptoms.
RobRoy

Return to Mercury