Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

My Car Cut Off And Will Not Start; It Turns Over - Mechanic Said He Could Not Find Anything Wrong With It.?

Saturn Car Discussion

My Car Cut Off And Will Not Start; It Turns Over - Mechanic Said He Could Not Find Anything Wrong With It.?

Postby Conrade » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am

It started a couple weeks ago by just not starting when I went to leave home. I had the battery replaced because it was bad and the alternator tested. I have taken it to a mechanic who ran a full diagnostic and physically looked over the car. They could find nothing wrong. Sometimes the check engine light is on and other times it is not. The only codes are for an evap sensor, speedometer sensor, thermostat, and short in the transmission. The speedometer works and the car has not ran hot. The evap sensor/canister would not cause my problems and the mechanic said the transmission code would not cause any problems and that it was just a short that had probably been there since the car was brand new. It is a 2005 Saturn L300. Sometimes it turns over and will not start. Sometimes it runs perfectly fine. And sometimes it goes dead while driving; twice it started right back; twice it did not. It has gotten progressively worse. Yesterday, we stopped on our way to a 3rd mechanic. When we got back in, the car would not start. It finally did and we made it 300 yards before it died and would not start back. I had a coworker pick me up so I could sleep for work while my fiance fiddled with the car. It was eventually moved to a parking lot and made it about a mile within 6 hours. It was left on the side of the road for the night. Any suggestions on what this could be? I have tried fuel injection cleaner, replacing the battery, had a full diagnostic and physical inspection of the car, had codes read at the part store, had the alternator checked. The day before it started I stopped for gas on my way to work. I have heard 1500 maybes but no one can tell me what it is. Please help!!!! I am beginning to think I am paying for a yard ornament.
Conrade

Postby Hadar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm

the fuel pump is electric and located in the gas tank. this is the probable cause of all your problems. Can you hear the electric buzz of the pump running in the gas tank if you turn the key to the "ON" position? If not, then this may be the problem. Try tapping on the gas tank with a wooden stick, then try starting the engine, if it starts, then plan on replacing the fuel pump along with the fuel filter and sending unit...............gl
Hadar

Postby Ruhleah » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:32 pm

you are not using a good mechanic this is all classic fule pump issues first thing to do is make sure the fuel pump relayt is good and then replace the fuelpump in the gas tank fiddling around with all this other ccrap is a waste of time what is the mileage on the engine sd is the main question and that usuallyt talls te taile
Ruhleah

Postby avshai » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 am

I like roger's answer. My guess is some sort of intermittent electrical problem. Gonna be very tough to diagnose, since the intermittent nature means it might not happen when a mechanic has his meters hooked up. Gotta check every connection- battery, ignition, ignition switch, fuel feed (two pumps?), and even power to the car's computer. There are a gazillion connections, and it's hard to tell which one could be bad. If roger's right, the fuel pump(s) may be the problem, or it could be power to the pump(s).
Lengthy, time-consuming diagnosis is in your future. Sorry. ... Take care!!
avshai

Return to Saturn