Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Is The Volkswagen Beetle The Best Car Ever Created?

Land Rover Car Discussion

Postby Evarado » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 am

the hitler machine, the slow lane hogger..... call it what you will but is the volkswagen the best car ever created? i mean a ferrari is great, but not off road. a land-rover is great off road but costly to keep on road. Jap cars are really reliable but you don't see many 1970 Jap cars on the road. So is the beetle the greatest feat in vehicle engineering? and if so why can't any car manufacturers create something as good nowadays?
Evarado

Postby Padgett » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 am

All cars are designed for a specific purpose.

Some for luxury some for off road, some for high mileage.

The beetle was designed for the masses, and had many shortcomings.

It was very popular because of its economy, but it had little else to offer.
Padgett

Postby Thackere » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Yup, the old bug is a pretty useful old car, bags of character and still quite plentiful. One of the best ways into cheap classic motoring, I've had one before and I'd have another.

Only other similar car I'd say rivals it is the Citroen 2CV, also a fantastic car if you can really drive properly.
Thackere

Postby Kile » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:31 pm

The VW beetle was designed to easily fit a machine gun --so each and every one was to be ready for war. So was not intended to be the best- simply the most useful under the circumstances 'at that time'.
Kile

Postby Steffen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Scirocco is better
Steffen

Postby brittan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:30 am

In my opinion? Yes. The Type 1 was the best car I've ever been exposed to. Air cooled, points, and a single barrel. Simpler than any Honda, and very arguably much more reliable. Mine never left me stranded, or even broke down, for that matter. A little maintenance on the occasional weekend, keep the fan belt fresh, (very important) and run it wide open everywhere I went. Nothing else can take that. Me, her, two friends and a doggie in the very back. Good times!

Make something as good today? Of course they could. If they did it would last too long, hurting future sales. Sadly, simple quality may never be seen in the automobile industry again.
brittan

Postby Seosamh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Fiat 500
Seosamh

Postby Dabbah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:25 am

I'm sure it will be at the top of the list. It was and still is a car that was cheap and fun to drive. It suffered the same fate as many other cars. The first was a 36 horse engine , it had no cam bearings so they improved it and came up with the 40 horse. This engine was great and if left alone would still be great but the public wanted more horse power and that started the down slide of the beetle.
Dabbah

Return to Land Rover