Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

I Am Going To Be Overseas For A Little Over A Year. How Should I Go About Re-registering My Car?

Mini Car Discussion

I Am Going To Be Overseas For A Little Over A Year. How Should I Go About Re-registering My Car?

Postby Akiiki » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:35 pm

I am currently stationed in Ohio and leaving for overseas within the next month. The date my vehicle re-registration is due is September....and I will not be back in the states until next October.
Should I re-register for two years since I will not be back in the states on time the following year? I'm not sure if that is a good idea since I will not be returning to Ohio.
I plan on putting my car in storage while overseas & don't particularly see the point in re-registering but I have been told that I must have my car registered since it is financed through my bank.
If somebody could clarify that for me, that would be great.
Also, since my car is financed, do I have to have full coverage insurance since it will be in storage or can I just get by with comprehensive?
Akiiki

Postby lir » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:48 pm

You probably dont need full coverage on the vehicle if its in storage, provided the storage company has some sort of coverage for customers, Call your local dept of motor vehicles they should be able to help you out, Not a lot of sense paying for something you cant use ..
lir

Postby Doggie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 am

A relevant question: will you have mail service available at your overseas location? If so, simply tell the DMV about the new mailing address, and pay the registration bill when it arrives.
If not. go see the appropriate bureaucrat about how to handle the registration.
As for the insurance, go talk to someone at the bank.
Doggie

Postby Dana » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 am

sounds like you need to re-read your contract with the bank and what it says in the contract is what you agreed to perform ...
it is not you make the rules rather it is that the bank has made you a loan-contract and you will need to abide by their rule or be in default....
sorry that you have to have the extra burden of full cover ins. and the car is in storage for 1 year ( it is also required that the bank be notified where the car is stored --- if there is a fire the mini-warehouse people are not responsible for your contents of the rental space -- read that contract before you sign it --- therefore you do need to have the full coverage ins policy to protect your investment and the bank contract ---- best of luck in service of the USA overseas
Dana

Return to Mini