Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

How do i know if my fuel pump on my motorcycle is bad?

Honda Car Discussion

Postby ronit12 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 pm

1995 honda cbr 600 f3. Stall out at 60 mph never gave trouble before. starts up but when in neutral if you stand it up off the stand goes dead? Fuel pump and stand switch? carbs look ok on top
ronit12

Postby vallois » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm

How did you get to 60 if the bike stalls when you lift the stand in neutral-to check that put the bike in gear while the stand is down-dies right out right-stand switch is ok.Got to be a fuel supply problem.I doubt that all the floats are sticking closed at the same time.Like the Cowboy said do you have at least a half tank of gas in it? There are 3 other things that it could be,fuel pump-fuel pump relay-or a plugged vent line.To check the fuel pump,unplug the connector to it and take 2 small wires from the battery and jump it directly,it should take right off,let the pump run for 15 seconds or so and then see if it starts.If it does,probably not the fuel pump.2 things left,fuel pump relay and your vent line.Before you get into the relay check the easiest thing first,which would be the vent line.The fuel is gravity dropped in that bike,so if the vent was plugged or partially plugged the gas can only drop so fast and when you are going 60 the the demand is greater than what the supply is when the line is plugged.The vent line is the small line that drops down on the ground by the swingarm.But you can try riding with the gas cap open to see if that is the problem,if the bike keeps running at the high speed,that's the problem and that is where I would look first.The relay can only be tested with the directions from the shop manual.
vallois

Postby peppino » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Do you have a full tank of gas? Or is the tank low and if so, have you switched to reserve? If not, that could explain it first dying at a higher speed and it would explain why it runs when leaned over to the left on the sidestand (fuel runs over to that side, covering the standpipe) but then running out of gas when you stand it up straight (gas runs back to the right and uncovers the standpipe).

Otherwise, you need to do actual checks such as for volume, pressure, etc.
peppino

Postby harold76 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Do you have a full tank of gas? Or is the tank low and if so, have you switched to reserve? If not, that could explain it first dying at a higher speed and it would explain why it runs when leaned over to the left on the sidestand (fuel runs over to that side, covering the standpipe) but then running out of gas when you stand it up straight (gas runs back to the right and uncovers the standpipe).

Otherwise, you need to do actual checks such as for volume, pressure, etc.
I would check that sidestand switch.
harold76

Return to Honda