Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Central Locking won't work on Astra :(?

Saturn Car Discussion

Postby granger » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Its an Opel Astra (aka. Saturn Astra, Vauxhall Astra, Holden Astra) 1996 year. The problem is with central locking. It used to be remote controlled, but a couple of months ago the remote's battery was gone (probably) and I open the doors by inserting key into driver's door, and all the locks used to pop up.
But since yesterday, I have noticed that only driver's door would open with the key, and others won't open even by hand :( Seems like the driver's door opens mechanically with key and central locking is all dead.
Remote is not too important for me, if I can open all the locks by inserting key into driver's door lock, that's fine. Any suggestions how to fix it? Does it need a new central locking control unit only or any other parts also need to be changed? Any idea where exactly is the control unit located?
granger

Postby deven » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Check the fuses.
deven

Postby tate » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Definitely check all fuses first. It really could be that easy.

Is the remote a standard fitment where you are or does it have an aftermarket alarm? Remote fobs didn't come out in the UK until the Astra G shape in '98.

Astra F model? Almost certainly, the ring and roller have broken on the back of the door lock. The other doors are still dead-locked and it relies on this little mechanism to control the other doors. You can tell if it's intact if the key will lock to the horizontal position (dead-locked position) and stay there without springing back slightly. If it springs back halfway between horizontal and vertical, the ring and roller have broken.

Let us know how you get on.
tate

Return to Saturn