Welcome to Car-Forums.net!   

Are Audi's reliable cars?

Mercedes Car Discussion

Postby labhruinn8 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:23 am

Just a question.... Love their new styling. I'm a big Mercedes fan. However, Audi seems to be the sexiest looking car but I was under the impression they are unreliable and very costly to repair and maintain. I know VW, the parent company, are not known very well for reliability. Car magazines seem to have mixed reviews... I'm more into classic American cars more than German cars

Postby rob26 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 am

I got an Audi A4 2007 2.0T, and I have to say that i've had quite a number of problems.
My car is in the shop right now getting my high pressure fuel pump, camshaft and follower changed under extended warranty.
Personally, I haven't had that good of an experience with Audi, and have experienced a number of issues. Owning one, if you really do want to get one, make sure you have warranty. For my repairs, the cost came to approx $3000!! Nice car, but not worth the price!

Postby long » Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 am

Audi's are very expensive to maintain and although they may look ok they are really no better than a VW (same company). I owned a older Audi and found that the only way to try and keep repair bills down was to ask if there was a comparable VW part. Many times the part is exactly the same right down to the part # but the Audi version was twice the cost and typically had a "A" after the #. If you can afford to buy new and trade in every few years I wouldn't hesitate. If you like to purchase a car and keep it for a extended period of time you may end up wishing you never saw the car.

Postby mal » Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

German cars are far more reliable, sophisticated and better engineered than American cars! Fact! I have a VW and it has never let me down in any way. I think they are very reliable but can be expensive if they go wrong because they are a high end car but you can always get cheaper parts. Audi does have excellent build quality. Get a warranty. Have you considered a BMW?

Postby blithe » Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 am

Well, Audi's are just higher end posh versions of VWs (A4 is a Jetta, A6 is a Passat, A8 is the now discontinued Phaeton) All S maodels are just sporty versions of the A models. Knowing that VW isn't that great means that you could expect the same ( or worse) from Audi. Friends of mine that have owned Audis said they were good for the first 3-4 years, then they started having problems.

Postby waldron » Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 am

Both Audi and Mercedes Benz have very high maintenance costs and from what I've observed most Mercedes models cost more to maintain than an Audi. Audi's are a really good looking car though. If you want a more sport oriented drive then go for the Audi, if you want luxury then go for the Benz.

Postby sotirios » Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 am

No they are not

Postby bertin68 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 am

No they are not
Audi are GREAT.....................until the warranty runs out.

Mark my words.

Return to Mercedes